Board of the Seimas approved the priorities for international co-operation of the Seimas
Press release, 20 January 2021
At its Wednesday meeting, the Board of the Seimas approved the List of Long-term Priorities for International Cooperation of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania.
‘The direction of Lithuania’s international co-operation remains unchanged. Having approved the long-term priorities for international co-operation, the Board of the Seimas highlights not only the strengthening of Lithuania’s existing partnerships, but also establishes a new direction aimed at ensuring active parliamentary activities in spreading freedom and democracy. I am convinced that the coming years will be marked by Lithuania’s productive participation in the activities of the international community, including assured representation of Lithuania’s key interests, and that the Seimas will play an active part in this cooperation,’ said Vytautas Mitalas, Deputy Speaker of the Seimas, to the Press Office of the Office of the Seimas following the meeting.
‘We have revised our usual priorities for parliamentary diplomacy. Efforts towards spreading freedom and democracy is the factor that currently unites the like-minded not only in the region but also in the major capital cities of the West, because only by joining forces will we be able to help the Belarusians regain their freedom. Only this way will we also be able to assist other neighbours that have been fighting for their freedom for a long time,’ stated Žygimantas Pavilionis, Chair of the Seimas Committee on Foreign Affairs and Member of the Seimas Committee on European Affairs.
The List of Long-term Priorities for International Cooperation includes the following:
- Active membership of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and stronger transatlantic relations and ties with the United States of America;
- Active membership of the European Union;
- Strategic partnership with the Baltic States, Nordic-Baltic cooperation, and strengthening of good neighbourly relations;
- Support for reforms and Euro-Atlantic integration aspirations of the European Union’s Eastern Partnership countries;
- Active parliamentary engagement in the spread of freedom and democracy;
- Active engagement in the parliamentary dimension of international organisations with a view to ensuring effective and strong representation of Lithuania’s interests and maximum presence of Lithuanian representatives in the leadership positions of international organisations and in top political positions;
- Strengthening of ties with Lithuanian communities and organisations abroad.
The international cooperation priorities will guide the decisions on the participation of Members of the Seimas in international events and meetings.
The Board of the Seimas approved the List of Long-term Priorities for International Cooperation of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania by consensus.
Monika Kutkaitytė, Adviser to the Press Office, Information and Communication Department, tel. +370 5 239 6666, e-mail: [email protected]