The Archives of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania hold the basic legal acts on the re-establishment, international recognition and further development of the State of Lithuania and other documentation reflecting the legislative process. Apart from the documents on the work of the Seimas and the Office of the Seimas, the Archives also contain records on constituency-focused activities of Members of the Seimas and activities of the Signatories to the Act of Independence of Lithuania and their Club, as well as documentary evidence from natural persons about historical events at or related to the Seimas.
The Archives store the following items:
- Documents from the Stock of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the Lithuanian Soviet Socialist Republic (1940–1990) for long-term retention, such as personnel and financial documents of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the Lithuanian SSR, while documents needing permanent retention have been handed over to the Lithuanian Central State Archives for preservation;
- Documents from the Stock of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania (since March 1990), namely, originals of adopted legal acts and political documents; oaths of allegiance to the State of Lithuania by Members of the Seimas, presidents of the Republic, members of the Governments, and officials of state institutions accountable to the Seimas; records on activities of the leadership of the Seimas (speakers and deputy speakers of the Seimas, Board of the Seimas, Conference of Chairs); documents on the legislative process and parliamentary scrutiny, on international recognition of and co-operation with the State of Lithuania, on activities of state delegations of the Republic of Lithuania for negotiations with the USSR and the Russian Federation, on activities of Seimas delegations to international organisations and parliamentary assemblies, on the work of the Office of the Seimas and its units; letters by Lithuanian and foreign residents to the Supreme Council – Reconstituent Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania; records on constituency-focused activities of Members of the Seimas; documents on historical memory of parliamentarianism; and photographs showing various areas of activity of the Seimas and the Office of the Seimas;
- Documents on the 1990 Economic Blockade Foundation (1990–1998), in particular, on its establishment, operation and dissolution;
- Documents of the Club of Signatories to the Act of Independence of Lithuania (since 1993), namely, records on activities of the Club and on commemorating the Signatories; memories of Signatories and Members of the Supreme Council – Reconstituent Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania about 11 March 1990; and other documents;
- Documents on political, professional, scientific and other activities of Bronislovas Genzelis, Česlovas Juršėnas, and Česlovas Vytautas Stankevičius, Signatories to the Act of Independence of Lithuania of 11 March 1990, from their personal archives;
- Documents on historical events in Lithuania and at the Parliament (1988–1992) from personal archives, namely, video and audio documents by photographers and documentary makers A. Ališauskas, R. Damulis, A. Girdziušas, J. Kazlauskas, A. Maskoliūnas, R. Lankas, A. Cimbolaitis, L. Glinskis, A. Kaušinis, A. Pročkis, R. Šilinis, V. Paliulis, and A. Tarvydas.
The video and audio documents (video and audio recordings, photodocuments, digitised texts) stored in the Archives are accessible at the Media Archive on the Seimas website. Please order copies through E-service.
Archival documents and work of the Archives are presented in the video Discover the Archives of the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania.
Monday to Thursday 8:00–17:00
Lunch break 12:00–12:45
Gedimino pr. 53, Building 3 of the Seimas, Room 006
E-mail: [email protected]
tel. +370 5 239 6153